of Molokai remains a sparsely settled enclave of scenic and inconsistencies.
Born of the fiery outpourings from three long extinct volcanoes, the little
island of 38 miles by 10 miles divides evenly between arid farmland and mountain
ranges. Most of the land is owned by the Molokai ranch.
Soak in the enchanting sounds of the
sun-drenched Oceania/Pacific Islands coming to you in 64kbps FM Stereo!
Left: Siloama Church first built in 1871
marks the site of the original leper colony on Molokai.
Right: Many people choose to live on the
isolated mountain peninsulas of the northern Molokai Island.
Father Damien served the outcasts of the leper
for sixteen years until 1889 when he too died
of their disease.
Once banished because of their fearful disease,
leprosy victims were put ashore to die at a
colony established in 1866 at Kalawao. Isolated
by 2,000 foot cliffs, the windswept peninsula
became a natural prison for thousands of
Left: Molokai is known as the home of
the hula which is performed at any social function.
Right: A pure Polynesian lady tends her
taro patch as she has done for almost all her life.
The plant is ground to make poi, for centuries
a staple food of the island people.
The business centre of Kaunakakai retains a
wild west charm
with an oriental flavour lent by