A TOKELAU POEM
- The following poem is about the Tokelau Islands,
their history, geography, unique culture and lifestyle.
Soak in the enchanting
sounds of the sun-drenched Oceania/Pacific Islands coming to you in 64kbps FM
Presented by Jane Resture
A Tokelau Poem
- I think about Tokelau from time to time
- Those distant specks in the sea
- Unknown by most and loved by a few
- Unique and beautiful and free.
- And when I think of Tokelau
- And I do know for sure
- That I think about
- All those things you had to endure.
- When the blackbirders came, they took away
- All the young men to a land far away
- Never to return and forever to yearn
- About home and returning one day.
- A population so pure became unsure
- Of who they were or were meant to be
- The links with the past broken for all time
- Knowing not what was yours and mine.
- But the people are proud of themselves
- And who they are
- And Tokelau will always remain
- Their shining star.
I think about Tokelau from time to time
Those distant specks in the sea
Unknown by most and loved by a few
Unique and beautiful and free.
Poem by Jane Resture
- Tokelau Home Page
Polynesia Home Page
- Jane's Oceania